Liposuction Operation Details Istanbul Turkey
Follow Up Visit
WARNING The duration of treatment and trecovery time after the treatment may vary from patients to patients. The above information includes estimated values prepared for patients from abroad.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction, sometimes called “lipo” by patients and also known as “suction-assisted lipectomy, lipoplasty and body contouring”, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that slims and reshapes certain parts of the body by breaking down and removing fat from certain parts of the body.
The surgeon makes a small incision on the skin in the area where the thinning will be made, and from there, through the cannula placed under the skin, suctioned excess fat and removed it from that area, allowing the area to be reshaped.
Then this incision is sutured, which may leave a small scar, but over time, the scar becomes discoloured and becomes inconspicuous. In addition, the surgeon places a drain on the liposuction area for a certain period of time to remove the leaking fluid and blood collections that may occur under the skin. When the flow of fluid from the drains stops, your surgeon will remove it during post op check-up.
Although liposuction can be performed on any area of the body where there is excess fat, the areas where it is frequently performed, in order of preference, are as follows: Abdomen, waist, thighs, arms, hips, buttocks, cheeks, chin, neck, ankles and knees.
Liposuction is not a weight loss surgery method. You cannot get rid of your excess weight with liposuction. As we mentioned above, liposuction aims to reshape body contour irregularities caused by abnormal or excess fat excessive fat accumulation in the body. If you are overweight, you should try to lose weight through diet and exercise or prefer weight-loss surgical procedures (such as Gastric Bypass Surgery, Sleeve Gastrectomy). In this way, you are likely to lose more weight than liposuction.
How is Liposuction Performed?
Liposuction is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic surgeries.
Anaesthesia will be performed as the first step before liposuction. During the surgical procedure, some medications are given to reduce or completely eliminate pain for your comfort and to allow the surgeon to work more comfortably. For this purpose, preoperative local anaesthesia, intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia can be performed. Your surgeon will decide which anaesthesia will be the best choice for you.
After anaesthesia, small incisions are made on the skin, large enough to allow the passage of cannulas and inconspicuous, before starting the liposuction procedure as the second step.
As the third stage, thin cannulas are inserted under the skin through the incisions with controlled and gentle back-and-forth movements to loosen excess fat. Through these cannulas, the displaced fat is sucked from the body with the help of a surgical vacuum device or syringe connected to the cannula and collected in an external container.
Fat Removal Techniques in Turkey
Today, there are several fat removal techniques (liposuction method):
- Tumescent Liposuction
- Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction
- Laser Assisted Liposuction
- Aspiration Assisted Liposuction
The most commonly performed liposuction method is Tumescent Liposuction. In Tumescent Liposuction, the surgeon will inject a sterile anaesthetic (called “tumescent” solution, which is saline solution along with lidocaine and epinephrine) to the area where the fat will be removed to minimise bleeding and pain during the surgery. This method is usually performed with local anaesthesia, depending on the patient’s medical conditions.
Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction (UAL), uses ultrasound wave energy, which ruptures the fat cell membranes, thereby liquefying the fat. In this way, larger amounts of liquefied fat are sucked and removed out more easily. VASER (Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance) Liposuction is also a variation of ultrasound assisted liposuction.
Laser Assisted Liposuction (LAL), sometimes called high-resolution liposuction, these techniques, which include brands such as SmartLipo, Slimlipo, and CoolLipo, use laser energy to emulsify fat cells to displace them more quickly.
Compared to traditional liposuction, laser energy reduces recovery time, provides better skin tightening, and creates less surrounding tissue damage. However, the VASER liposuction, which is an Ultrasound-assisted Liposuction method, has less pain, swelling or bruising compared to Laser Assisted liposuction. Therefore, Laser Assisted Liposuction is preferred for smaller areas, while VASER liposuction can be preferred for larger areas.
Suction Assisted Liposuction (SAL), known as “Suction Assisted Lipectomy”, is a method that allows the fat to be sucked out faster with the help of a vacuum-like device. Power Assisted Liposuction (PAL) is a similar method, but it includes a device (called a vibrating cannula) that increases the movement of the cannula used to remove fat.
What is the aim of Liposuction?
Liposuction aims to get rid of unwanted fat that you cannot remove from your body despite diet and exercise by using a special suction technique, and in this way, it makes you feel better by changing and reshaping the contours of your body.
However, as we mentioned in the introduction above, liposuction is not a cosmetic surgery procedure for weight loss. If you are overweight, you should first try to lose weight through diet and exercise. If you are not successful in this way, only then you can undergo weight loss surgical methods. Nevertheless, sometimes liposuction may be required to reshape the body after weight-loss surgeries (at least six months later).
Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
Good candidates for liposuction should have the following features
- If you are unhappy with the abnormal fat distribution in your body (especially, in the lower abdomen, thighs, upper arms, hips and back) and you want slimmer and smoother body contours, you are a good candidate for liposuction.
- Liposuction is a surgical procedure, and similarly, the risks of complications that may arise in any surgery have the potential to occur during liposuction. Therefore, only healthy individuals can be candidates for liposuction, and they should not have a life-threatening disease or medical condition that would prevent healing.
- People who will be candidates for liposuction should have a positive perspective, expectation and knowledge for body shaping. Liposuction can provide visibly excellent results and significantly improve your body contour. However, these changes in body contours may differ according to the anatomical structure of the person and sometimes may not meet all expectations. Therefore, liposuction cannot transform you into someone else you expected for, or provide you with a body shape exactly the way you expect it. As a result, your expectations from liposuction should be realistic. If you are ready for all this, you may be a good candidate for liposuction.
- If you want to be a good candidate for liposuction and achieve good results after surgery, you need to have tight and elastic skin and good muscle tone. Although Liposuction is not a procedure that directly affects the skin, it can cause the skin to appear loose and create collapsed areas after fat is removed from areas with poor skin tone or quality.
- Good candidates for liposuction should be at or at least close to their ideal body weight (within 30% of their ideal weight). As we mentioned above, liposuction is not a weight loss surgery that allows you to get rid of your excess weight. Liposuction aims to correct irregularities in body contours caused by abnormal fat distribution and to gain smoother body lines, even if you are at or close to the ideal weight.
- Good candidates for liposuction should have a regular lifestyle and diets. They should also pay attention to this after the operation. Therefore, if you want the results you get with liposuction to last longer, you need to pay attention to your diet and do your exercises regularly. Otherwise, the effects of liposuction will not last long.
- As with every plastic surgery, it is recommended that liposuction candidates not smoke. The risk of complications is higher in smokers than non-smokers, and the positive results on body contours are not long-lasting.
Is it possible to treat obesity with liposuction?
As we emphasised above, Liposuction is not an option for the treatment of obesity or for weight loss. The weight that cannot be lost by diet (reducing calorie intake) and exercise (calorie expenditure) is usually regained after liposuction surgery. Therefore, it is necessary to continue dieting and exercises in order not to gain weight after liposuction.
If you have excessive fat and require liposuction from too many areas, you may face the risk of serious surgical complications. For this reason, it is not recommended to remove more than 8-10 kilos of fat during liposuction due to the life threatening risks. It is recommended not to exceed 4-5 kilos for the amount of fat that can be removed from the body during liposuction surgery.
Moreover, there is an increase in both subcutaneous and visceral fat mass in the body of obese individuals. Liposuction only helps to reduce subcutaneous fat mass and has no effect on visceral fat mass.
For all these reasons mentioned above, liposuction should not be considered as a weight loss surgery (it is not included in the bariatric surgery options anyway) and should only be considered as an aesthetic surgical procedure that reshapes body contours by reducing localised subcutaneous fat. If you are overweight, it will be more useful for you to prefer weight loss surgeries first. In fact, liposuction may be required to reshape your body after weight loss surgeries or strict dieting.
It is also useful to keep in mind that patients with a BMI above 30 are not considered candidates for liposuction or other plastic surgery by the American and European Board of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic surgery.
Why Have Liposuction in Turkey?
Liposuction is one of the most searched surgical procedures in search engines worldwide, mostly by women but recently by men. One of the reasons why this surgical procedure is highly preferred is the desire to correct body contour irregularities caused by regional fat deposits that cannot be eliminated with diet and exercise.
Turkey is among the most preferred countries for liposuction with an increasing rate in the last 10 years. The presence of hospitals and clinics accredited in Turkey according to American and European standards, the presence of experienced plastic surgeons, most of whom have American and / or European Plastic Surgery Board certificates, and of course, the affordable treatment and hospital fees play an important role in the patients’ preference. In addition, most patients can find the opportunity to make their touristic trips in Turkey before or after the treatment.
Why You Should Perform Liposuction in Istanbul Turkey
Istanbul is one of the largest cities in Turkey due to its many historical features and being a commercial centre, and it is one of the cities that have the features we mentioned above under the heading “Why Have Liposuction in Turkey?” and that meets the plastic surgery requests of the patients the most.
Liposuction in Istanbul Turkey Before&After
I had liposuction with Meditravelist and I was very pleased with the results. During the pre- and post-operative periods, the meditravelist team was always with me and helped me with any problems.